A brief history of The 1st & 4th (Marquis of Milford Havens Own) Gibraltar Scout Group.

The first overseas troop of The Scout Association, the 1st Gibraltar Boy Scout Troop, was established on 27 March 1908 by My James Edward Bramble. This Group has the distinction of having been the first Scout Group to have been formed outside the United Kingdom.

It was on the 20th June 1910 that Prince Louis of Battenburg, KG, GCB, OM, Admiral of the Fleet visited Gibraltar. One of his civic duties was to inspect the 1st Gibraltar Scout troop which was camping at North Front in what today is the runway. The Prince was so impressed with the standard of the Group that he decided to confer his title to the Group. From that date the Group became known as the 1st Gibraltar (Prince Louis of Battenberg’s Own) Group. It was just prior to the First World War and with anti-German sentiment running high in Great Britain, that the Prince changed his surname to Mountbatten. He also became the Marquis of Milford Haven and the Group’s title was subsequently changed to the 1st (Marquis of Milford Havens Own) Gibraltar  Scout Group.

The 4th Troop was established in 1913 from members of the Boys' Brigade when the Brigade was disbanded in Gibraltar. This Troop, from its earliest days, had an extremely popular brass band. The band ceased to function with the evacuation of the civil population during WWII, this was the first Scout band in Gibraltar

After the evacuation of the civil population during WWII the 1st & 4th Group’s continued in the UK and Jamaica as the 1st Gibraltar (London) Troop, 4th Gibraltar (London) Troop and the 1st (Gibraltar) Jamaica Troop

In 1947 these Troops amalgamated to form the present Group and agreed to retain the traditions of both former Troops. The patronage of the Marquis of Milford Haven was re-confirmed on the new Group,
The 1st & 4th (Marquis of Milford Havens Own) Scout Group. The original colours of the neckerchiefs were incorporated in the scarves to be used by the Group formed through the amalgamation.

On its 50th. Anniversary in 1958 the Marquis of Milford Haven authorised his Coat of Arms to be worn on the Group neckerchief.

The Group, has since the end of the Second World War, run a Corps of Drums. The Corps was selected to perform at the Royal Tournament in 1982 and has played at numerous local events and other overseas locations.

To commemorate its 75th. Anniversary in 1983 the present Marquis of Milford Haven visited the Group and presented them with new Colours at a Parade held at Casemates Square.

On the 27th March 2008 the Group celebrated their 100th Anniversary. The day was marked with a parade of past and present members along Main Street followed by a reception at The Garrison Library attended by the Chief Scout His Excellency Sir Robert Fulton KBE - Governor and Commander in Chief of Gibraltar